Monday, December 8, 2008

Buried Under Piles of Paper....Help!

So I've felt really bad lately because I have been literally buried under piles and piles of paperwork. I haven't been a very good wife, mother, blogger, person...just a teacher. I don't know what it was, but I had a very hard time getting through my grades this year. The bad thing is, we just switched over to a trimester and I feel like all I ever do is grade anymore. I finally told the secretary today at school that I needed my prep hour and did not want to cover a class because I'm tired of taking stuff home.
I know, I know....my mom never has any sympathy, she just says if you are tired of grading then don't assign it. However if you are an English teacher, there is not doubt in my mind you will have papers. I only had two bigger papers given for my Honors' class but man they about killed me. They take so much time to sift through and to actually do them justice. My husband said to just give everyone A's...but that is not the point. The point is that if they make that effort then I need to make that effort. However, the good news is that I did finish my grading on Friday of last week. I have been pretty much grading non-stop since November 17th. It was stressful, boring, redundant, and awful, but I did finish. I then went home all weekend and did Christmas stuff which was a lot of fun. It has made me want to get way more creative this tri with regards to the assignments I give. I can see why the longer I do this how much nicer looking for another career would be....but I am done for now and will possibly even try to change my blog background from fall to winter...since it has been over for a while. I may even try to post some Christmas posts. But for now, it is my prep hour and I have grades due again in two weeks...so I guess I will go back to the grading funk that is my life!


6 comments:

Holly said...

I wish I could be there to help but just ask Pam at how good I am papers. I go off on grammer and spelling and penmanship instead of grading on the content...it must be in the blood! Hang in there and make sure that you get out your Christmas Cards AND please please please post pictures of your 8 trees you have up that Peyts told me about. Since I won't be there I can't see them!

Maegan said...

I do have sympathy! I am so busy with Jackson; therapy sessions, and preschool. It is hard work being a mom! I can't imagine being a teacher on top of that! I would love to see your tree pics. too!

Nancy Niederer said...

I laughed when I read that Andy said to give everyone A's...it reminded me of something Jake would say, except I think Jake would say give everyone D's. I always hated writing papers, but I never really thought about how the teacher must feel having to read all of them, except I am sure they enjoyed mine since I was a stellar student. (Ha!) Anyway, I was thinking about all your Christmas trees the other day, and I wondered if you ever considered a birthday tree. Since Christmas is your birthday, the day after Andy's, 3 weeks before PJ's bday, and well of course the day we celebrate Christ's birth, it might be worth thinking about for a future tree. Maybe you could put a party hat on top instead of a star. You use streamers and balloons to decorate it too. Might be fun. Anyway, we are excited to see you in a few weeks. Later!

Cassie said...

I hope you are able to come up for a candy bar & pop now and then! Just a couple more weeks and you can take some time off and enjoy the holidays and birthdays.

Lataun said...

That's not really your desk is it? Maybe you should have been a math teacher...:)

I really want to see all your trees also...I'll keep watching for that post!

hang in there

Unknown said...

Ha! Thanks to all of you for responding. I have actually been going a little slower at school. That really took it out of me. We almost have all eleven trees up. I have two left to decorate and then I will post all of them. Yes we are crazy and no that was not a picture of my desk. I'm a little bit more organized...but that is how I felt!
Kristie