Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas Eve Fever

We had someone who was very, very sick on Christmas Eve. He had what I like to call Christmas Eve fever. I remember as a child how long Christmas Eve was and how much I wanted to open everything. It was a time of snooping, peeking, getting frustrated and mad, and excited all in one. Peyton had Christmas Eve Fever really badly this year. As you can see in the picture below...he helped Andy open his birthday presents and lets just say in 2 minutes flat he had basically shredded the paper and destroyed our living and was ready for more. It didn't help that he got to open presents, it just ignited the flame. We had actually wrapped presents for Peyton and put them under the tree. However, we ended up actually putting them back into the orange bedroom that has a lock on it. We showed him this present that he got to open but he had to wait until bedtime. We also told him it was a toy so he wouldn't be really disappointed. Well the fever was too much and we knew he couldn't help himself...so we threw it up onto our high ledge that he cannot reach. After I did that, I decided that would be a nice place to display all of his presents next year! The torture just might be enough he would figure out how to pile and stack chairs to get to them! This present stayed there until evening. We then went to my mom's where I found Peyton searching desparately around the tree for any present with his name on it. He then encouraged some followersTo join him...Let's just say that Pam and Pop got them out of there. However, I do believe he peeked into one present! A child after my own heart...The problem is that I know all of the tricks. You can't hide stuff, you just have to lock it away. However, when he gets old enough to pick locks like I can, we might be in trouble! I think we have one more year of him not doing that! Finally he got to open a present for him on Christmas Eve. We had survived the day with minor side effects from the fever. The only way I know how to pacify it is to open a present and go to bed and wake-up Christmas morning. Then after shredding every present and being a little bit sad that there aren't any more, the fever suddenly leaves!
However, we were able to get it to lower just a little bit by the Christmas Eve present he opened! Isn't he cute in his new PJ's! Yes I had to sew the sides so they would stay up! :-)
P.S. -Another symptom is getting caught sneaking into Christmas goodies before lunch and dinner and leaving evidence on your face. This was the Muddy Buddies I made that someone was caught sneaking into that day!


This could provide a little diversion from the real things they want to sneak into!

This Christmas was one of the best ever because Peyton experienced and illustrated all of the joy that is present when a young child believes. I know I can never get that back, but I got to live through it vicariously and it was wonderful...Oh, to be young again!

1 comment:

jakeniederer said...

It was nice to be back in Hamer for Christmas. We sure enjoyed the time with you all and my kids really enjoyed playing with Peyton. See ya in July....