Monday, February 21, 2011

Love is in the Sky, Love Shacks, Love Cookies, Love Valentine's Day Weekend!

I love Valentine's Day and this year we did a whole weekend of celebration for it. We tried some new things and did some fun traditional things. All in all we felt the LOVE!
Andy started it out by being terribly creative and romantic on Friday night. He planned the whole date and I didn't have any idea what was going to happen. But we ended up going to a variety of place. His theme for the night was "For the Love" and at each place before we went in or did what we were supposed to do, he had written a poem that he read to me. Yes, he is pretty amazing. Each place was some place that was significant in our marriage and yes his poem are pretty amazing. I told him he can be chief poet laurete at our house now! I resign! I sure love that man...
Then Saturday I went to the cutest boutique/home sale. Paisley Pear Boutique is so cool. If you get the chance you need to find out where they are having a show. It is great! They have a little bit of everything and their prices are great. The cute little head wrap that you see here is one of my many purchases.
This was mother nature's Valentine's day gift the night we did our love shacks. How can you not be appreciative of all of the beauty we have around us. I love taking pictures out our backyard and seeing the different amazing sunsets. Also on Saturday we did love shacks. This was a new tradition and I've decided that I love it. Chirstmas was just too busy and is always too busy. I had leftover gingerbread kits that we just didn't get to. We just never found the time. So this year, we did them on Valentine's Day. We bought some Valentine's cand for the kids and sorted all of the red or pink or purple out from the kit and we made our love shacks. We did this while listening to the B52's sing the love shack...it as quite festive and fun.

Andy helped Sonnet and Peyton had his own ideas...

Peyton had a cute idea and then got bored as you can see, however he said on the other side there was a fire coming out of the roof. I asked him if it was my bedroom..he obviously didn't get the joke or think it was funny.

Sonnet definitely had the most colorful and cute...but she had some good help. He knows all about making a great love shack! (wink, wink).

Then it was onto sugar cookie making. I sure do know now why we only do this once a year. It is very time consuming. This year Peyton wanted some chocolate sugar cookies so we had a lot of cookies this year. I don't know if they are worth it, but they sure are good once you get done. I think we started at 3:00 p.m. and ended at about 9:00 p.m. But I decided to do different colors this year rather than doing just pink. Peyton, of course, had to do moose and cowboy hats...lips and hearts were not his style.

The green moose and purple hats.
Licking frosting is Sonnet's favorite job! Here are here cookies.
The decorating crew ...you can see the big hearts were for Peyton's class for his Valentine's Day party. I remember as a kid when Sharon Park did the big huge hearts...They were one of my favorite memories. I had to do them for my kid...I hope they will remember them...even if they don't eat them.
These were Sonnet's finished cookies...

These were some of the finished versions of all of the cookies we made...there were a lot!!!!

On the actual day of Valentine's, I woke up pretty early to get ready for school. As I was in my bathrobe with really wet hair, I saw the sunrise. I couldn't resist taking pictures. I went out on my porch in the above mentioned attire and I took these pictures. It was like the sun was saying Happy Valentine's Day.
Then that evening we had Valentine's hunts and received some small Valentine's tokens. Andy and I exchange the same gift every year...he writes a continuing story and write poems for him. We are amassing quite a collection of each. It is one of our favorite things. This year we got the kids pillow pets and Peyton got a big huge Hershey kiss (he loves chocolate) and Sonnet got some great new spring clothes! (I know kind of boring, but what girl doesn't love new clothes!)

Got caught eating his chocolate.

She loved the ladybug...

3 comments:

Maegan said...

Fun, fun! Those sugar cookies look delish! I wish we could take homemade treats for Jackson but everything he takes in has to be store bought:(

Steph and Boyd said...

That looks like so much fun. Your kids are so cute.

Edie and Luke said...

I love your Valentine pics! So cute! Also, that family pic that you have on the top right corner of your blog is ADORABLE! Thanks for the website for help with Gospel Doctrine. Yes, I am still teaching that class- wow! I need all the help I can get. I will probably see you in July for Steph's wedding. I am so happy for her!