Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Pumpkin Carving

So Sunday before Halloween we attempted to carve our pumpkins. We opened up the pumpkins and began with my favorite part and that is digging out the guts. Peyton and Andy don't really care for this part, but I love it.

Peyton attempted to clean the guts out, but gave up about two handfuls into it. He thinks it is gooey and cold and yucky. And as you see he is not too thrilled to be doing this part.





NoOne of my favorite pictures to take is of Peyton pretending to eat the guts. This is actually about as close as he gets to being by the insides of pumpkin.The choice of a design begins. We are pretty picky about the types of designs we pick. I remember when I was a kid, we would just draw the face and have it carved in 15-20 minutes. Peyts wanted a spooky face and so we found a pretty good one. He wanted to do it "all by myself", but Andy manned the knife and we got Peyts pumpkin carved. Of course I'm very partial to witches lately (maybe it is the profession I'm in that makes me partial to them!). This was the design I selected and although it wasn't perfect, I think my witch actually turned out really well. Andy picked a haunted house this year and I thought it actually turned out really well!

This is one of our fun family traditions since Andy and I have been married and that is to put our pumpkin up and actually have a pumpkin head picture! Because Peyts is the only one who carved a face, we all had to use his pumpkin to take this picture. I thought we all looked very spooky!


Peyts was very excited for the finished product and we had to immediately go outside and light them up.



They definitely make for a very fun and spooky night! Who knew that pumpkin carving could be so difficult and so much fun....! Signing off until next year when they get even spookier and crazier. And if anyone has a good witch pattern...let me know, I need a new one!








2 comments:

Holly said...

We miss you guys!!! Petys looks like the mad scientist! He is so much like you with anything gross stuff...WOW! You are so talented in your carving!

Nancy Niederer said...

Wow! They turned out great! I knda spaced taking pictures of ours this year. We were hurrying to get them finished in time for the Trunk-or-Treat, and my new busy body neighbor came over and was hovering and slowing us down. By the times she left it was time to hurry to the church building. I made a classic triangle eye Jack-o-lantern, and Jake's was a scary face with a pi squared sign on the back...whatever that means. He says it just looks cool. Anyway, I did use a marker and made the superman symbol on a pumpkin then Brock painted it. Then I tacked on an old red superman cape we had from some old jammies of Brock. I love your idea of holding up the pumpkin to your face. Clever! Looked like a fun afternoon!