Sunday, October 26, 2008

Mountain Trick or Treating

We had the opportunity to go to Island Park to Harriman State Park on Saturday and do some mountain trick or treating. Who knew that all of these years there existed anything like this in Island Park. I believe people who live around there go up and spend time decorating days before. They then give out free candy to anyone who comes. It doesn't cost to get in and besides being a tiny bit chilly it was pretty fun. I think one of the scariest things about this is the lack of light and being up on the mountains. I'm told there is a funny story involving Adam and the bathroom that I didn't really get the whole story, so ask Adam, Kyla or Mom!

When you arrive, you wait in line for the hay ride to the little grouping of houses. This is our tough crew of spooks who went this time. Austin is the pimp daddy in the suit. Adam is the freaky werewolf thing...(nice Bruv!), Kyla is Maid Marion of course, Kaysha was just scared and cold and Peyts dressed up like a cowboy.



This shows us getting onto the hay wagons to be pulled up to the little village of houses. Along the way to the village, there were various spooky scenes from Ghosts throwing ghost poop (marshmellows) to huge spiders in webs, to a vampire getting ready to attack a girl. I didn't take pictures because they squish a lot of people on those wagons and it was kind of cold. When we arrived Pam was there to give us the grand tour. She showed us the nice treat house that we could go to after trick or treating. They had homemade donuts and hot chocolate or hot apple cider. After walking around in the dark up in the mountains at the end of October, that was a nice end. But before we hit the snack shack we went to various houses for the kids to trick or treat. Some people set up scenes outside and on others we just walked into their houses. The witch's house was the scariest and it almost got Peyts a little bit scared and the woman screaming at you from the shower was probably the worst. I was very proud of Peyton for he never screamed or cried and was very brave. I told him he had to protect me. Adam and Kyla couldn't quite make it through. They must be at an age when this is a lot more realistic and a little scary. Kaysha just plain didn't go if it looked too scary. Austin was game and hit most of the attractions. This was really the only scary one. Pam was supposed to be Elvira I think mom said and she was working in one of the bone yards! This is the wicked old woman from Snow White she looked pretty realistic. I was a little disappointed she didn't give out poisoned apples!

There was a house that was full of fun games that kids could play and then when they were finished they could win a prize for each game. Peyton did a fish pond, a bean bag toss, hop scotch, golf, and this ping pong straw blow. It was a fun room.

He tried so hard to play the game right but got sick of blowing so he just used his hands and the straw!

In case you are all wondering who Pam is cuddling up with, this is Ryan. His parents actually run one of the houses up here and that is how we found out about this fun Halloween activity. I was debating not going because I hate giving up my Saturdays and for the last month, I've been gone somewhere. My two sides were arguing about making memories or staying home and being a sludge as I like to call it. I'm glad we went it was a lot of fun. I had a hard time getting them to pose for a picture, but I told them both they better get used to it. I think he is dressed up as a hunter! Aren't they "Spooktacularly" cute together!


I took this shot because this was probably the funniest costume I saw all night. This lady was a table as you can see and her head the main course. The glasses looked like there was wine in them, but it was just jello! How clever.


This lady was also one of my favorites because she was a great witch and she quotes a few lines from Shakespeare's famous witches in the play Macbeth. "Bubble, Bubble, Toil and Trouble..." You get the picture. By then we were freezing and we headed back to get some great goodies. The donuts and warm drink topped off the night. We hitched a ride back on the hay wagon and ended our fun night. The funny thing is I later learned that Adam had to make a quick pit stop in North Fremont because he held it that long. He didn't want to use the spooky bathroom. He must have a bladder of steel! Ha!

6 comments:

Lataun said...

That looked so fun. Do they just do it for the kids of Island Park or is it open to the public?

Ok, GoodReads, you can post them to your blog...After you finish a book and post your review, it asks you if you would like to post on your blog...fyi.

Nancy Niederer said...

Looks like fun! I can imagine Allie as a permant apendage on my leg the whole night with all the creepy stuff, but Brock would have loved it! Sure looked cold, I guess I don't miss that about Idaho...but I do miss the people! Can't wait to see you guys!

Unknown said...

Lataun...it is actually free to anyone that goes up there. It was really fun and not too scary. Only one house was a little too much for kids!
Kristie

Holly said...

It looked like you guys had a lot of fun. I do however wonder who dressed up like Andy? The costume was convincing. If I didn't know any better I would have thought it was him in the hay ride pictures.
Jay

Maegan said...

Oh my gosh, so fun! That is a terrific idea and I'm jealous we didn't get to go! Glad you decided to not stay at home!

Matt and Janae said...

Hey guys...we found your blog through Stephanie's blog. Hope you don't mind! You will have to check out our family blog yearsleygang.blogspot

That mountain trick-or-treating looks like a lot of fun!