Saturday, October 18, 2008

Grid Kid Champions

Yesterday we had the opportunity to go watch Austin play for the Grid Kid Championship in the seventh grade division. It was a beautiful day for football. After last Friday when it was freezing, this was like having a nice summer day. Angie had a bag full of noise makers and tons of posters for these kids and Peyts got into the action of cheering.
Austin played mostly on offense and special teams that I saw(except for at the end when Shelley was making a run to catch up....then they left Austin in on defense,too!). They played Shelley and according to Pam it was the not so good team that was playing Austin's team. There were two teams from Shelley and the good team got beaten last week by Austin's team. Well anyways, no offense from last years game, but this years game actually looked like football. The kids did a nice job on both sides. Dad said that Austin was playing linebacker and Pam told me he punts also, but I didn't get to see that yesterday. The final score I believe was 13-6???I think. It was a close game and fun to watch.



This picture reminded me of how many dads are trying live vicariously through their little kids sports career. Even though it was pretty mild yesterday, the speeches at the end of the game reinforced to me that parents should just go an enjoy them playing. The guy isn't even wearing coaching attired!
Well the buzzer sounded and it found Austin's team ahead and they won a trophy similar to a superbowl cup. I was pretty impressed. After being given trophies and this cup, we went back to try and get some pictures of the whole team...after listening to some miserable speeches by the coaches (I don't even think the kids were listening) we got to take team pictures. Pam told me that Angie doesn't take her camera to championship games because it is bad luck. Angie also said that this was the third year in the championship game for these boys and they finally won. I guess third times is a charm. Good job, Austin!



Peyts was excited to tell Austin congratulations, but he didn't want to put on Austin's helmet. He said it was stinky! I'll bet.
This is Austin's whole team. Some of the boys he plays baseball with are on this team, but a lot of his buddies didn't get to play because they got beaten by the team Austin played at this game!

No comments: