Monday, October 6, 2008

It is that time of year!

There is a smell in the air around the town of Hamer. It is one that many will know immediately and maybe even catch a hint of as they read. I don't really know how to describe it, but it is an earthy, musty, dirt smell. It is harvest time. Andy made a comment the other day about how this is the one time of year that all of Hamer is lit up at night time. This is the time of year that I don't see my dad very much. This is the time of year of a lot of stress for many farmers. This year (I hope I don't jinx it) is actually been very nice weatherwise so maybe that stress level is a little less. It is a time of year when fields become a tangled mess of vines and sand that will eventually blow in the fall wind. It is a time of long hours, good lunches with lots of treats, dirt, and lots and lots of potatoes.
Peyts and I went out today to see the fields and ride with Pam. I actually ended up spending most of this time at the school which didn't bother me in the least. Even though I have many fond memories of harvest, it is not something that I enjoy doing now. I enjoy the two weeks we get out of school and having some down time to rest from that first rush of school. Peyton loves everything about farming and tractors. Today he got to go and ride with Pop. They went to the fields and checked the cellars. Then he was able to ride with one of the combine operators...known to Peyts as Bo. He is making quite the friends with some of the workers...much to his mother's dismay. His new found friends include Ace, Badg (Badger), Tywell (Tyrell), Mamero (Ramero), and Bo. He is quite the little worker (or so he thinks!).

He is searching for some potatoes left behind by the diggers. It was quite the afternoon for this little guy. I personally like to go out and watch for just a little bit and as my brother says, value the fact that I don't have to do this anymore. When Jake was in college he fondly referred to this time of year as "College Appreciation Days".
These were some of the small ones that actually didn't make it in the trucks. It is funny because if you were to go in Walmart right now, these would be the big potatoes. This has been a pretty good year for big spuds! I hope the potato farmers actually make some money this year!

2 comments:

Holly said...

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF BLOGGERS!!!OHHH! You just made me completely homesick! I miss that smell...I know you thought I would never say this but I love harvest time too. Gosh, potato harvest always seemed to stink when you were a high school kid in it but now you look back like an old lady and think about those memories fondly. Maybe working in the "spuds" was the main reason mom and dad suceeded in getting all 5 of their kids at least a bachelors degree. You and Jake might actually have something there!

Nancy Niederer said...

Hooray for blogs! I really like that picture of your home, kinda cool looking down, you can really see the lay out. I remember that smell, except add a bit of desiel fuel...Jake would come home smelling like that when I was pregnant with Brock and it would send me sprinting to the bathroom! I think I could handle it better today. It sure is a magical time for little boys with all the equiptment and tater treasures! (less magical for those whose actually have to put in the hours I suppose;)I am glad we can keep up with your life a little better know, we sure miss seeing you guys more often! Tell PJ Brock says hi and he wants to play super hero costumes when we come this winter.