Sunday, October 19, 2008

Happy 90th!

Last Saturday we celebrated Grandma Niederer's 90th birthday. It had been a while since I had even seen her. In fact, I'm sad to say that it has been since she moved to Salt Lake that I've seen her. She looked great for being 90. The party was nice. Everyone went to a lot of work to make sure she had a nice day.
She was able to blow out all of her candles...so as Dad has always says she will live longer than all of us because she is "too dang ornery" to die. A lot of family was there and we had a nice potluck dinner before. Yes there was even some good food to eat. I don't know if it was Pam's idea or Dad's but apparently we all got these roses for Grandma. There were 90 total! Pam told me about it and was going to have us all contribute, but then Dad just bought them. I don't know if Grandma could see them, but they sure looked nice. I also don't know if they could get them back to Utah, but they added to the atmosphere.
I thought this picture of Peyts and Grandma was cute. I'm not sure if Peyton even really knows who this is because he hasn't seen her too often. He definitely knows who "Poppa Sanders" is. He is around him a lot more and plus he has tractors. I did, though, think it was very cute when Peyts said, "I have a lot of Grandmas now!". If he only knew!
I wonder if she is losing more of her sight because she really didn't even know where to look when I took the picture. But as you can see she still looks like Grandma.
This is some of the family that attended. Not everyone made it, but I think Emil wins the award for traveling the farthest. He came from Alaska and it was nice to meet his wife. I was also able to meet a few new family members. There are also some on the way. Tasha is expecting and they are all waiting until Shane gets home to just show up at the airport and there is the baby. I don't think that is very nice, but I'm sure he will think it funny. Merriloy and Lisa did a lot for Grandma's birthday. There was a very nice movie and they had treats for all of the people who were going to come. It was a nice afternoon to visit with family.
As you can see there was only one drawback and that was the fact that it was like a blizzard outside. I told Grandma that Terreton was telling her it had missed her. If you look close at Peyts outside, you can see how badly the snow was coming down. The was a miserable weekend weatherwise. We about froze to death at the football game the night before and then because of the snow, we thought it made it harder for people to come to Grandma's party. But when we left, there had been a fairly steady stream of visitors who came through. I think that it is pretty cool that she had her birthday up here. It was nice to see. Grandpa Sanders also celebrated his birthday this week. He turned 94. How nice it has been to still have grandparents around. I miss the ones who are with us and enjoy the time I get to spend with the ones still here.


You have to love Idaho weather! Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep in mind it is still October 10th! This is way to early for a blizzard.




4 comments:

Cassie said...

I'm so glad you're in the blog world. It gets so addicting.

First...Grandma Niederer looks just like Grandma Niederer even at 90! Good for her. Looks like you had a fun time at the party.

Second...until last night (first frost) we have been stuck with 80° weather and you have snow. How does that work? Funny what 2000 miles and a few thousand feet elevation does with the weather. I wont complain. I love fall.

I'm so glad we now get to keep an eye on the Scott's in Hamer. Yay!

Holly said...

I love the snow pictures! Peyts looks like he is FINALLY going to get to play in the snow! Jays wishes he could have been there...he is still wishing for snow.
Grandma looks good and I totally agree with dad, she was too stubborn to go...love the flowers though. I guess Pam is still doing a good job even with her head in the clouds!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. It was great to hear from you. We were just up there visting our new little grandson, Isaac, who we think is so sweet and adorable.

Stay in touch.

Love, Kathy

Lataun said...

Hi Kristie, loved seeing your comment and finding you in the blogging world. Ok, so I tried Shelfari...I think I like GoodReads better (nothing personal). So I need to link up to your book lists. I noticed you have Life of Pi. Have you read it? It's coming in the mail...Have you been on Half.com?

Lataun

P.S. I don't know if I like the title 'Technology Immigrant'???