Thursday, January 8, 2009

Winter Rumination: Spring Fever

I have spring fever. Since Christmas has been over, I've received about seven different seed catalogs in the mail. It makes me think of warm sunshine, weeding until my legs ached. Yummy cold dinners full of vegetables and fruits we had grown. It makes me think of tans, zuchinni, green beans and lettuce. It makes me think of eating raspberries until I'm sick to my stomach. I can't wait to begin planning my garden again, planting my garden and enjoying the fruits of my labors. I've decided I just don't like winter. The snow at Christmas was nice, but it can now melt and we can move into spring. I came across these pictures from the summer. I had intended to publish them then, but must have ran out of time at school and alas I stumbled upon this post while I sit in my classroom freezing and look out and see snow and ice. This was our garden just beginning to grow.




I think my favorite thing that we grew were my raspberries. My dad informed me that they probably wouldn't produce fruit. When his started producing and mine didn't I was really sad, but then low and behold in the fall they produced tons. We were eating them clear until that really hard frost in October (I think!) How nice was that. I ended up getting two raspberry seasons (my dad's crop and our later crop...and even though I loved it...it was not very nice on my hips because my preferred method of eating raspberries is with cream and sugar....if you've never done this, you've never lived!)
This is our whole garden patch and I really thought it was small but most people thought it was gargantuan. I will say the only thing I planted too much of was green beans though. I thought four rows was not that much, but we picked until we were dead and I even invited over people to come and pick as much as they wanted and we still had more! The rest though was great!


2 comments:

Holly said...

UGG!!! I completely forgot it is seed season! I am planting a garden this year finally, we will see how this Nebraska sand does... I remember last summer being so jealous because you had a garden that really had a wonderful harvest and I was stuck in a hotel all summer!!!!

Unknown said...

I think your boys will love it, but it is a full time job. Good luck!