Friday, January 30, 2009

Mr. January Organization

It takes me approximately one year to undo all of the fabulous organization that is in my home and done by my husband. That is why January is dedicated to organization for the month. It is what we learn about in FHE and it is what we do for activities. My husband was blessed with a lot better sense of order than I was, and he is really good at helping me organize. I'm very good at making messes but also finding things to contain my mess. I also provide us with some humor because usually by about September, it becomes very dangerous and fun to open our cupboards. It also reveals some interesting finds! So every year, I help him pull out all of the messes I've made and let him work his magic.

As you can see below, this is our pantry. We aren't quite done with cleaning it, but Andy has started and it is already looking better than what you see below.


The next order project is usually my cupboards in my kitchen. It gets to the point after that whole year that some of them don't even shut. I'm very good at messing up the order he tries to create. But I do really well if I can tell him where to put stuff I use a lot. He is so amazing, he has even organized my closet. He did that a few years ago, and for the most part, I do very well with his system. He arranges by color and by style. So pants are all by each other. Dresses and skirts are by each other. Short sleeved shirts are all arranged by color and long sleeved shirts are arranged by color.

These pictures of lovely cupboards that you are looking at, are ones that I've messed up and that don't close very well. This one below was so full that every time you opened it, something would fall out on top of you. Sometimes it did it without even opening the cupboard.

As you can see, the before and after is a very amazing transformation. He takes my mess and provides order. I love opening up this cupboard and finding what I need a lot more quickly than I did before. I even used the lemon pepper that I didn't know I had and spiced up our chicken dish the other night.

This was my favorite messy cupboard. It is above my stove and it is where we keep the medicine, but also my gum, vases, and other random things we don't use very often. However, because I'm a gum addict, I open this cupboard quite frequently and much to my surprise, even though I know it is going to happen, something would fall out of this cupboard. Sometimes it would even fall into what was cooking on the stove. It usually made a huge mess when it did this. This is the final product of Andy's organization.


This shows him in the process of doing the job just so you can see it really is him. I believe he hires out for 100 dollars a house! Just kidding. This is the last cupboard I took a picture of just so you can see. It was jam packed with papers and magazines and other odds and ends and he just whipped it into shape. He cleaned out our game closet so that we can actually find a game to play without pulling out all of the others on top of our heads. Just to make you all very jealous, even organizes my sock drawer according to color. Besides all of his added attributes that I love, I love that he provides order to my chaotic life. I like to think that I not only provide him with a winter hobby but a little random chaos and confusion! :-)









7 comments:

Holly said...

OK, so does he hire out? And does he give any family discounts on his fee? I so need help on organization! Maybe I will do better with a new house?
Thanks for you kind words the other day, yes even I have breaking points!

Nancy Niederer said...

you guys should contact HG TV or TLC about a TV show..."Handy Andy makes your house Dandy!" or "Keeping gum from falling in your stew!" or finally (and possibly my favorite) "Coming out of the closet can be easy!" I am kind of an organization freak myself, Jake however, not so much. Good thing we have spouses who help us balance our lives.

Anonymous said...

You have no idea how lucky you are!!! I don't think I could get Lanny to even attempt organization of any sort. However, I have been making my boys take turns organizing the pantry , the laundry room etc.. Tell Andy "good job"!!! He is welcome at my house anytime:)

Matt and Janae said...

That is so awesome that Andy does that! I wish that I could get more help in the organization department around our house. I am the one always doing it and the boys (& Matt) are the disorganizers!

Cassie said...

I married Mr. Organization's cousin, I think. Although, his idea of organizing is just tossing it out. YIKES It has taken many years, but I'm getting better at it.

Holly said...

Hehehe, Nanc told me about her clever comment! I love the idea, HGTV here you guys come, do share the wealth though!

Edie and Luke said...

Hi girlie! Holly gave me your blog address- I hope that's ok! Hey I didn't realize that Andy is such a great organizer. I think he should start a support group for husbands who LOVE to make a mess! Ha Ha! I'm so glad we get to keep in touch!