Friday, January 9, 2009

My Freakin' Lucky Day

So I have to share this story, because it is probably one of the coolest "lucky" things that have happened to me in my life. I've entered and signed my name to many things to "win" something like the car in the mall, the trip to Bermuda, the free money...whatever. I've never won anything. Even at my English conferences I've never won anything cool. Most people win like 200 dollar shopping sprees to a book store and I get a catalog from a company of a kid's book that costs two dollars. So over the last couple of years a company called Galaxy Press has sent to some of the English teachers at this school some really bad books. I saw that because I'm am not a fan of science fiction. I always thought it was nice they sent the books, but I don't read that genre. Well I felt bad just letting them sit, so I starting given them away to students after I added some to my school library and classroom library. They continued to send the same books. Well last year, they improved and sent an adventure story on tape. I kept that because I've really been interested in books on tape and thought that I could use it on one of my classes. All of these books were by the author L. Ron Hubbard. My students tell me he is the guy who started scientology....whatever that is. Anyway so the other day I got a package in the mail and opened it and saw the familiar L. Ron Hubbard stuff. I was busy at the moment and just slide it under the podium. So today while I was bored (my students were working in groups planning a project) I was fiddling with the box. It seemed like the tapes like last year, yet when I opened the box it seemed more rectangular in length. I was a little confused. As I pulled it out of the box it was sent in...I couldn't figure out what was in the box. So as I was looking at it one of my students noticed that there was an ipod logo on the side. I was in complete shock and couldn't figure out what it really was. There was no way in my mind that it was really an ipod and yet after all of my students rushed up to the podium, and we opened it, it was indeed an ipod 80g and loaded with all of the L. Ron Hubbard stories. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it felt like I had won the lottery. It was so cool. I've never really won anything of significance, let alone received for free anything of significance. I was so excited I left my students in the class (who were all jealous and tried to steal it) and went and showed a variety of people. I hope they weren't too jealous, but I know I would have been! I wasn't showing them that for that reason, just because I was so amazed. So one of the people I showed was my principal. I asked her if it was mine or the schools and she said it had my name on the package so it must be mine....Needless to say I didn't argue, but I feel kind of bad because I own an ipod. So I thought I would figure out a way (whether I switch it for my thirty gig or keep it the same) to load just one of the them full of books and if kids want to check it out, we'll do that...(I think that is what I'm going to do anyway...we'll see)

I will however say that I may press my luck as I drive home and stop and buy a lottery ticket....You don't have days like this too often. I'll let you know if I win anything!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yippee for you!!! I really enjoy reading your blog!!! You always make me smile:) Send some luck my way would ya???

hmmm said...

ha!
love that story.
i would have been yellin and hollerin for sure!!!!

(i hope you really did buy that loto ticket..... let me know how that goes for ya.)