Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Only Reason I Love Winter!

So yesterday the weather was really yucky from a Sunday quick blizzard. Our roads were covered in drifts. I thought for sure we would be out of school on Monday. Our school board (who shall remain unnamed and only referred to as a much loved and respected group from this author's opinion) felt that it wasn't that bad outside. Even though I was mad I had to be in school, I kind of agreed with them. I was able to make it to school fairly easily. However, others were not as much in agreement as I was. Granted, I didn't sleep all night waiting for a phone call telling me school would be out, but it never came and I ended up at school very tired from not sleeping all night waiting for a phone call that would tell me I didn't have school. But I did!

So last night (Monday night) I went to bed with a little hope of getting out of school, but not really believing it would happen. I guess it was supposed to be cold, but my mom said it wouldn't get that cold. So I went to bed and at 5:50 a.m. I received a phone call telling me it was too cold to go to school. Needless to say, I was very delighted to be able to have a "free" day off and be able to sleep in in a warm and cozy bed. I guess some areas around registered -31 degrees below, however, I am convinced that our school without fail always has a "make-up" call day to make up for the fact that they should have let out school the day before but didn't. Then they get a bunch of mad people calling them and they let school out the next day to make up for it. I'm an avid lover of basketball and have seen this phenominon happen all the time by officials who knew they made a "bad" call. Then they make one to kind of make up for it. Whether it was too cold or just a make-up call, I'll take it. It is one of the few professions that provides these nice "mental" health days for its employees, because we have to keep in mind the safety of the children. I love my job on days like this. I even like winter when it does enough to keep me home! Everyone pray for more cold!

1 comment:

Holly said...

Ok so what about our birthdays? That is my top favorite reasons to love winter...how about Christmas...after that I am so done with winter!
If it make you feel any better if it is -degrees here they just do a late start, they are so used to cold! YUCK!